Wednesday 14 March 2018

Unravel 2018 Stash Enhancement




Stash enhancement! A magical phrase for any knitter. Occasionally combined with a hint of guilt, naughty pleasure and always happiness.







While most people are already in Edinburgh or on their way to the Edinburgh Yarn Festival, I'm not able to make it this year. My final exam for my degree is tomorrow afternoon and I'm saving all my pennies for my travel plans for the next two months - separate post on that later! I can tell you it's going to be exciting! For those in Edinburgh - have a wonderful time and may your days there be filled with yarny goodness and the company of lovely fellow knitters. I can't wait to go next year fingers crossed but at the moment I feel like I have reached a zen moment with the yarn I currently have. I didn't even know that was possible. A large part of this, I think, is that I am going to be moving across the UK in July for my first job! Provided I pass my exams I will be heading south to either Devon or Cornwall for my first posting. I cannot wait. But an important part of moving is packing and taking all your stuff with you.


Ummm.... Has anyone got a lorry I can borrow? Between textbooks, clothes and of course crafty items I have a lot of stuff! And the idea of buying more things at the moment just doesn't feel right. So I decided that Unravel would be my final place of purchase unless a truly awesome sale comes up. I mean, I'm only human! And knitters aren't exactly known for their self restraint...


So onto the Unravel haul! For more about the day see my post here. I am proud to say everything I bought has a project allocated to it. A definitive win for mindful buying.


1. Pom Pom Magazine Anniversary Issue and Gauge Square 


Now I can hear what you're thinking - this isn't a project! I have a reason! Last July I took my mum along to Pomfest and she fell in love with the sample knit of the cardigan on the front cover. It's beyond my skills at the moment but now I have the pattern I can save it for future me who will have more skills. And I've wanted a gauge square for ages.




Pom Pom magazine website here


2. Wensleydale Longwool in DK


I still haven't knitted anything for my very patient boyfriend. So I looked up a pattern for a hat that might suit him and chose the Clayoquot Hat by Tin Can Knits. It's a free pattern (link here) and has tutorials for beginner colourwork. The lady at the Wensleydale stall was so friendly and was happy to chat about colourwork techniques and gave me some really useful advice about needle sizes. If you're a tight knitter, it's better to go up at least one needle size for the colourwork so the hat isn't too tight. In the end I chose three colours, although I think two of them might be too similar. What do you think?






Wensleydale Longwool website here


3. Giddy Aunt Yarns mini skeins


I've been looking for minis to use for the Knitting at the Library Cowl by Cori Eichelberger (link here). It's a paid for pattern on Ravelry and I really like it. Turned sideways it's meant to look like a stack of books with each book represented by a different stitch. It's aimed at beginners who want to learn new stitches and make the next step with their knitting. Looking forward to casting this on! The colours in the minis are subtle and blend together well. 




Giddy Aunt Yarns website here.


4. Final purchase! 4ply sock yarn from Easy Knits 


At the Great London Yarn Crawl in 2016 I bought a gorgeous 600m skein of yarn from Third Vault Yarns. A year later, I decided I wanted to knit a jumper out of it but needed double the amount. I couldn't get hold of any more so I've been keeping an eye out on potentially matching yarn. I'm going to knit either the Flax Light by Tin Can Knits or the Pavement Sweater by Veera Valimaki. Both are available on Ravelry. I bought two skeins of Purple Berry Tart from Easy Knits which I thought matched at the time. I still think they do and I'll see what the two yarns look like combined in a swatch before I cast on. Special mention to the owners of Easy Knits, the guys are so friendly and they have a Dachsund called Sweep who was being looked after that weekend. Sweep sometimes comes to events and his ears brush along the ground hence his name. 




And this is with the Third Vault Yarns:




Easy Knits website here.
Third Vault Yarns website here

I think the purples should combine together nicely. Any thoughts?


Did you go to Unravel? What did you buy?


Have a great week everyone x


No comments:

Post a Comment